Translated title: Overview of the energy policy of Canada
Canada is a country rich in natural resources and one of the largest energy producers in the world. In terms of surface, it is the world's second largest country. In 2015, Canada was the fourth largest producer of crude oil worldwide. 97 percent of Canadian oil reserves are found in oil sands. Moreover, the country is the fifth largest producer of natural gas and the second largest producer of uranium. In 2014, it was the world's seventh largest producer of renewable energies and the second largest producer of hydro power.
This report analyses the Canadian energy policy. It highlights differences and similarities in comparison with Germany and Europe respectively. The first part of the present report provides an overview of the bases of the Canadian energy industry. The second part analyses the drivers of the energy policy and current debates in Canada. The third part provides an overview of federal institutions and their responsibilities. The fourth part highlights important aspects of the Canadian energy revolution.
The report was commissioned by the Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (Bundesamt für Wirtschaft und Ausfuhrkontrolle, BAFA), in consultation with the department IIA1 of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie, BMWi). It was produced within the context of the project "Supporting the energy dialogue with the United States of America (USA) and the U.S. state California as well as the bilateral energy relations with Canada, Australia and New Zealand". The authors are solely responsible for the content of this report.
Further publications in the series
- Community Choice Aggregation - Communities in California and other US states as electricity suppliers (in German only) (August 2018)
- Overview of energy policy and energy economy in Texas (in German only) (February 2018)
- The debate on the Grid Resiliency Pricing Rule - Electricity market policy under President Trump (in German only) (January 2018)
- Overview of energy policy and energy economy in California (in German only) (September 2017)
- Overview of Australia's energy policy (in German only) (March 2017)
- Power Cuts in South Australia 2016 and 2017 (in German only) (February 2017)
- California and Germany: energy policy cooperation with neighbouring states in the electricity sector (in German only) (December 2016)
- Overview of the energy efficiency policy in the US (in German only) (December 2016)
- Overview of the US electricity markets (in German only) (November 2016)