Title translation: Towards the "National Energy Guarantee" - Current state of discussion on a new instrument of Australia's energy and climate policy
In Australia, the National Energy Guarantee (NEG) is currently being discussed as a new instrument of energy and climate policy. A dual supply obligation is intended to ensure both emission reduction and security of supply in the electricity sector. The newly established Energy Security Board (ESB) presented the proposal for the new instrument in October 2017 and has since been leading its development and implementation. The introduction of the National Energy Guarantee is subject to a unanimous decision by federal, state, and territorial governments within the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) Energy Council.
The report outlines the political context of the development of the National Energy Guarantee and discusses whether the debates of Australian energy and climate policy, which have become very polarised in recent years, can be resolved through the NEG. The authors also describe and discuss the ESB's proposals on the individual design elements of the two National Energy Guarantee instruments. In addition, the report provides the necessary background knowledge on the Australian electricity market and the existing instruments for reducing emissions in the electricity sector.
Further publications in the series
- Power systems in the 2020s: What can Germany and the PJM region learn from each other? (October 2018)
- PJM as the largest US system operator – Introduction and current debates (in German only) (October 2018)
- Community Choice Aggregation – Kommunen in Kalifornien und anderen US-Bundesstaaten werden als CCA zum Stromversorger (August 2018)
- Overview of energy policy and energy economy in Texas (in German only) (February 2018)
- The debate on the Grid Resiliency Pricing Rule - Electricity market policy under President Trump (in German only) (January 2018)
- Overview of energy policy and energy economy in California (in German only) (September 2017)
- Overview of the energy policy of Canada (in German only) (June 2017)
- Overview of Australia's energy policy (in German only) (March 2017)
- Power Cuts in South Australia 2016 and 2017 (in German only) (February 2017)
- California and Germany: energy policy cooperation with neighbouring states in the electricity sector (in German only) (December 2016)
- Overview of the energy efficiency policy in the US (in German only) (December 2016)
- Overview of the US electricity markets (in German only) (November 2016)