Weathering Risk is a multi-disciplinary, innovative, and multilateral initiative. It was launched by German Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs Heiko Maas at the Berlin Climate and Security Conference in June 2020 as a concrete step to implement the Berlin Call to Action. The project will identify short and medium-term threats to peace, prosperity and wellbeing, and the medium to long-term risks to geopolitical and diplomatic relationships. This analysis will be used to ensure that local, national and international diplomacy, development and defense strategies, policies and decision-making can be better informed by and address climate change related security risks – now and in the future.
Weathering Risk will be guided by a Strategic Advisory Board of leading figures in development, environmental, foreign and security policy:
- Achim Steiner, Administrator, UNDP
- Adriana Abdenur, Executive Director, Plataforma CIPÓ, Brazil
- Inger Andersen, Executive Director, UNEP
- Shenggen Fan, Former Director General, International Food Policy Research Institute, China
- Saleemul Huq, Director, International Centre for Climate Change and Development, Bangladesh
- Wolfgang Ischinger, Chairman, Munich Security Conference, Germany
- Robert Malley, President and CEO, International Crisis Group, USA
- Ottilia Anna Maunganidze, Head of Special Projects, Office of the Executive Director, Institute for Security Studies (ISS), South Africa
- Tom Middendorp, Former Chief of Defence of the Netherlands, Chair, International Military Council on Climate and Security, Netherlands
- Federica Mogherini, Rector, College of Europe, Former EU High Representative/Vice-President, Italy
- Coral Pasisi, Director, Sustainable Pacific Consultancy, Former Regional Advisor on the Pacific to the Green Climate Fund, Niue
Weathering Risk will be conducted in collaboration with a consortium of expert partner organisations, bringing the climate-security community together. Partners include CGIAR, Chatham House, Economist Intelligence Unit, Igarapé Institute, Institute for Security Studies (ISS Africa), International Crisis Group, and United Nations University.
The membership of the Strategic Advisory Board and broad consortium underline the ambition of Weathering Risk and the great interest in and support for the thought-leading work conducted under the project.
Contact person: Janani Vivekananda